Sunday, January 21, 2007

Scott's Day Of Redemption

Well, now I am totally confused. How do you react when your teams win? You have to understand, most of the teams that I like are great in the regular season, and then completely disappear in their post seasons. Florida State had 14 straight years finishing in the top 4 but only won 2, count 'em, 2 National Titles. The Hoosiers were/are one of the best programs in College Basketball, but haven't won a title since 1987. The Cubs need no explanation. The Colts and Bears have been good for at least a few if not all of the last 5 years, yet had never won the big one. Well now, not only did the Bears beat the Saints, but then the Colts went out and vanquished their own personal demon, Tom Brady. I just don't know how to respond. I am very good at moving on. The line "Well, we should be good next year" is so etched into my mind that I've been saying it all night, even though both teams won. I actually had to call a friend of mine that is a Duke fan and ask her how to act in these situations. Well, now I get the best gig in the country. I get to sit back and watch the Super Bowl and know that no matter who wins, I will be happy. If I had to pick one of the two to put my support behind, it would be the Bears, but I will be rooting almost as hard for Peyton and the Colts. Now, what were my thoughts on the games? Well, I'm glad you asked. Here we go......

1. Lets go with the Bears game first, since they were the first game. I think I can count on one hand the number of "experts" that I saw pick the Bears in this game. Well, the pride of this team showed today as they totally dismantled the NFL's best offense (statistically that is). They won the rushing battle 196-56 (the experts said this would favor Deuce and the Saints). They had no turn overs and no sacks allowed while they turned the Saints over 4 times and had 3 sacks of Drew Brees. The Bears even dominated in penalties with only 1 for 5 yards compared to 7 for 47 yards. Lets look at this. 0 TO's, 0 sacks allowed, and 1 penalty for 5 yards. That is ridiculous. The only area they were beat in was the passing yards (319-144) but this is to be expected since they had a lead the entire game.

This game was total dominance, and there is no other word for it. There was a moment where the Saints had taken the momentum. They were driving with a chance to take the lead, but then the Bears defense stood up, shut the drive down, and forced a long field goal attempt that was very, very short. The Bears then pin them deep on their next possession, and Drew Brees opens up the flood gates with an intentional grounding in the end zone, which is a safety. The game was over at this moment. The Saints were never in it the rest of the game.

Now, as for the Bears, they did what they needed to. They dominated on the ground, and Rex made the plays when he needed to, including a 5-5 for 77 yards and a TD drive. As a Bears fan, this was what I was hoping for. This was what the team looked like earlier in the year. This team has more talent than any other team left going into this weekend on defense, and it is time that people realize it. Now, onto the Colts.

2. Man, where do I start here. I must say, I left the place I was watching the game before the drive to end the first half. I was thinking, this is it. Yet once again, Brady and Belichick have figured Peyton out and the Colts will once again go home with their heads hanging. Then the second half started. The Colts dominated time of possession in the second half and, with the exception of 2 drives, scored every time they touched the ball. They did everything they had to to win, and they did it with the pressure on. People need to shut up about Peyton now. There was no one else playing this weekend, with the exception of Rex Grossman (and he wasn't really close), that had this much pressure on him. He started slow, but when it mattered, he made every play he needed to. I was so impressed with him in the forth quarter.

Then there was the defense. The D didn't shut down the Patriots as they had the Chiefs and Ravens, but they held the Patriots when they had to. The Pats had 4 possessions late in the forth quarter where a TD probably ends the game, and they could only muster 3 field goals, including a drive after their defense stopped the Colts. All they needed to do was get one first down. The Colts would've been out of TO's and the two minute warning would've been the only other way to stop the clock. With all this going on, the defense stands up and, led by inch for inch the best defensive player in football Bob Sanders, gets the stop they need. Then the story of Peyton Manning and the Patriots gets it's final chapter.

With 2:17 left on the clock and down by 3, Peyton and the offense take the field with all the pressure in the world squarely on their shoulders. What do they do? In 1:17 they drive 80 yards and take the lead. Peyton looked cool, calm, and dare I say it Brady-esque on this final drive. He showed everyone that said "Oh Peyton can't win the big one" that they really no nothing about sports. I am so happy for him and Tony Dungy. They deserve this.


Those are my thoughts on what was one of the best single days of sports in my life time. I hope that the Super Bowl is as good a game as I think it will be. Either way though, I am going to be sitting in my Lazy Boy, leaning back with a big grin on my face as I watch my teams battle it out for my first team championship since Florida State won in 1999. Oh , and if you were wondering, yes, this day will be all about me. Anyone who knows me and knows what I've been through with my teams would agree with me.

No comments: